|We are a Roman Catholic Church called to faith in Jesus Christ, whose teachings are revealed in the Bible, especially the Gospel.
We welcome all who are in full communion with the Church to the table of the Lord. We are charged to pray and to work together with all men and women of good will for the common good in a true spirit of ecumenism.
We are called to offer hospitality to all. We seek, with the grace of God, to worship the Lord faithfully, to teach the Gospel authentically, and to serve the needs of all we meet effectively.
In 1939, Riverdale was truly "country". A scattering of private homes, large estates and a handful of apartment buildings dotted the landscape from the Harlem River to the city line.
Francis J. Spellman became the Archbishop of New York in May 1939. Surveying the coming needs of this diocese and the inevitable move northward, the Archbishop decided to establish a new parish to the south of St. Margaret’s and to the west of St. John’s in Kingsbridge.
"Old" St. Gabriel’s in Manhattan on 37th Street had been demolished in 1937 to make room for the present Queens-Midtown Tunnel. The new parish in Riverdale would have the same name and become the "new" St. Gabriel’s.
On the feast of the Immaculate Conception, December 8, 1939, Archbishop Spellman appointed the Right Reverend Francis W. Walsh as the first Pastor of St. Gabriel’s. Msgr. Walsh was to remain Pastor for the next thirty years until his retirement in 1969 at the age of eighty. It was during his leadership that the values of community involvement and hospitality took root in our parish.